Quite a good weekend of work on this project, really, though after preparing all of the miniatures, I didn't get a great deal of actual painting done!
Here you can see the forces assembled, and what a force it's going to be! Points-wise, this is actually only about two-thirds of the army. I plan on buying at least thirty Gore Riders, and let's not forget that in those little plastic bags you can see, I have a Krudger on Gore and A HUNDRED AND ELEVEN (!!!) Orclings.
The good news, I remembered, was that I have already painted about forty-five of the orc Axes, so that's a significant proportion of the foot-troops already done.
The four Ax which are still on sprues will be my army's Flaggers. As you saw in the last post, I have spent a massive amount of time painting the 'official' orc Flagger and though the miniature is magnificent, I really don't think I could do another four of them! Instead, I have managed to acquire some banner arms from the Flagger miniature, so some conversions ahead, I think.
The biggest pain before I could actually throw myself into the project properly was gravelling the bases. This took quite a long time and (as you can see) required a heavy-duty amount of PVA glue!
Once this was done on Friday night, I then left them until the morning when they were all dry so I could then undercoat them.
I am yet to assemble the Krudger or the Orclings because firstly, I don't have any 40mm bases yet for the little guys and secondly, I'm not sure the Orclings will make it into the army if I want to include a giant.
The Krudger on the other hand will be done completely separately from the main force as he will get a hopefully very lovely paint-job, time permitting.
And here they are, assembled and sprayed. In total, having done a proper head-count, I have one hundred orc Axes, twenty Moraxes, forty Greataxes, four Flaggers, one Krudger on Gore and enough Orclings to make at least ten bases.
Not a bad start really!
Finally, I managed to find the time to (very roughly) basecoat five of the Axes to run as a test. As you may see from the picture, the bases aren't quite dry yet - and still aren't dry as I'm writing this - but as soon as they are, these guys will get dipped...
Keep an eye out for more updates over the coming days to see how these guys turn out!